Monday, February 25, 2008

Clearing Things Up

For those of you who are deeply offended with the recent UPenn study claiming Derek Jeter is the worst shortstop in baseball, yeah, they're probably right. I just came across this article from the Toronto Star, and it goes into the Headline Hall of Fame: Jeter a Lousy Fielder? So Say Eggheads... I actually laughed out loud at that headline. I know that Jeter has made some great defensive plays, but he really does have bad range, according to every fielding metric. Just think, how many times during a typical Yankee game do you hear Micheal Kay say, "Past a diving Jeter!" on a ball not really very far away from him. You can try to argue that he has three gold gloves, but the people who give out gold gloves are stupid. That's it. Plain old stupid. Jeter is still one of the best offensive shortstops in the game, and is also a good base-runner. He was hampered in the field last year by injuries, and 2007 was his worst fielding year ever. He should improve in '08, but will still be below average. Derek Jeter is my favorite player ever, but you have to look at things objectively.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've just relegated all of what being a good defensive short stops is, to simply range up the middle?

Would you say he throws accurately? Is he league leader in errors? Does he turn good double plays? How would you say he handles and covers ground on pop ups and dink hits? No one tracks those dinks and pop up like jeter, these things are what the "egg heads" (and some bloggers) do not understand and why baseball is played on the field and not in a class room...

if jeter is your favorite payer, i'd hate to hear your thoughts on the other players...

Charlie said...

Jeter is still leading the league in Most Women Banged

Fernando Alejandro said...

Fielding metrics are also a terrible way to gauge a player's gangster.

Nate said...

My Deepest apologies for being objective, anonymous, but I think even Jeter knows he has lost a step or two (or three or four), becuase he recently said he has a new workout program that focuses on lateral movement and improving first steps. He does have a good arm, and turns a double play okay. I think he goes back on flyballs better than any other shortstop in baseball, which is my main complaint with fielding metrics. In terms of dink hits, they wouldn't be hits if he caught them, so yeah.

All those things you said though, encompass about 10% of all plays in the field, with getting to the ball and catching it being the other 90% The Yankees know this too, and I would bet you that Jeter is moved away from short by 2011, maybe 2010. Im not sure I agree with your egghead comment, because as far as I know, baseball is played in a classroom, but you could be right, Ill have to look into it.

All of this does not mean that Jeter is not one of the best SS in baseball, that he has four rings that he banged Jessica Alba Jessica Biel three Miss Universes, the fact that the prize for Miss Universe is now getting banged by Derek Jeter, and all the other girls he has enjoyed.

Also, Derek Jeter could beat the shit out of Micheal Beasley, and Micheal Beasley is a THUG.

Nate said...

One more thing: No player is perfect. Nobody, and the only knock on DJ is his fielding, which is something that can't be said for most players.

Again, I apologize for my rationality.